Re: Comments on the RDFa Core Default Profile: dcterms prefix

Tom,

On Jun 14, 2011, at 23:28 , Thomas Baker wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Swoogle is still unavailable, so I cannot confirm the data from June 2010
> [1].

Well, the swoogle results (huge preference for dcterms) is in line with the Yahoo crawl results:

http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/profile/data/yahoo/

The Sindice resutlts

http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/profile/data/sindice/

also give a clear preference for dcterms although it does include dc on the top, whereas the yahoo crawl does not. Note that one of the main difference between Sindice and Yahoo is that the former crawls the SW in general, which also includes a fair number of older RDF data, whereas Yahoo looks at RDFa data only. Ie, in this respect, it is more relevant.

(That being said, I must admit I was surprised by the Yahoo results... but, well, that is what the facts tell us!)

> FWIW, data from BTC2010 shows http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/ being used
> in more than twice as many triples as http://purl.org/dc/terms/.  On the other
> hand, I have heard informally that /terms/ is used in RDFa data much more than
> /elements/1.1/.

Yep, see above.

> In the past, DCMI has expressed a preference for:
>
>    dc:       -> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/
>    dcterms:  -> http://purl.org/dc/terms/
>
> The prefix "dct:" is also used in place of "dcterms:".  As pointed out below,
> the following was also considered reasonable [3,4]:
>
>    dc:       -> http://purl.org/dc/terms/
>    dce:      -> http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/
>
> In [3], Mikael's point was that using dc: and dcterms: for
> /terms/ could be confusing _if_ /elements/1.1/ were _also_ being
> used.

I agree

> My preference, then:
>
> -- If both /terms/ and /elements/1.1/ are being used, pick one of the two
>   mappings above, with a slight preference for the first.  (Or, if "dcterms:" is
>   simply too long, use "dct:".)

Based on the overall results in

http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/profile/data/

this is not an option any more...

> -- If /terms/ *only* is being promoted, go ahead and use "dc:" for /terms/.
>
> DCMI's position on this question is not strong either way.  Ultimately, the
> goal should be to minimize the risk of erroneous usage, such as using the
> prefix "dc:" both for /elements/1.1/ *and* for /terms/.  How likely would this
> error be, given the widespread use of dc: for /elements/1.1/?  If this group
> prefers to promote *only* /terms/ in this context, DCMI will have no objections
> and will point people to the decision.

So: is it then a consensus (this question goes to everyone, not only to Tom) that we should use the 'dc' prefix for http://purl.org/dc/terms/ in the default RDFa profile? As far as I am concerned, I do not have any objections to that as long as the DCMI is fine with this.

Tom (and Shane, explicitly): there is a corresponding issue, though. The RDFa document:

http://www.w3.org/TR/rdfa-core/

uses the dcterms prefix with http://purl.org/dc/terms/. For consistency's sake we should probably change that to 'dc' everywhere. Would that be fine with you?

Thanks!

Ivan