Re: RDFa profile microsyntax, proxy vocabularies, GRDDL

Interesting ideas. I think the proxy vocabulary addresses a number of problems that even appear in ontology creation. For example, the recently published (CR) Ontology for Media Resources [1] defines local versions of properties, such as ma:title and ma:date, which are really just the same as dc:label and dc:date, to name a few. As with other ontology authors, and for authors considering the use of RDFa @vocab, the advantages of having a monolithic vocabulary often out-weigh the more "correct" mixin re-use of other vocabularies; OpenGraph and schema.org is only the most obvious (and visible) examples of this.

Relying on RDFS or OWL inference is something that is typically only done in reasoning, not as part and parcel of basic processing. Including a mechanism such as you describe could be a bridge to encourage better use existing vocabularies, without giving up the advantage of a single namespace.

As you say, other users may be satisfied with a syntactic representation; we've found this with JSON-LD as well, where many (most?) uses may never get to RDF, but there's advantage in having well understood representation and processing rules.

Gregg

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/mediaont-10/