Re: Eliminate @profile?

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:34:27 +0100
To: Thomas Steiner <tsteiner@google.com>
CC: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com>, RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>, "hsivonen@iki.fi" <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Thomas Steiner wrote:
> +1 for removing @profile.

Likewise +1 to remove.

This was discussed extensively last year and I shared the same
reservations, and still do - I think it over complicates a technology
and gives little benefit for the potential costs and unexpected
functionality.

That said, I do understand the backing issues as to why profiles were
wanted, the main one being that to many "foaf:name" is a string token
with a set universal meaning, as with the tokens in microdata, rel and
other places, as opposed to being a CURIE, thus information could be
lost by people not including the prefixes.

However, ultimately I feel that rich "profiles", as in default lists of
prefixes deployed with parsers and processors, is a better approach
which still has the same effect on users, "foaf:name", even without a
prefix declaration, continues to work.

Best,

Nathan