Some further thoughts on the default profile issue ( ISSUE-78 and ISSUE-73 )

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:44:22 +0100
To: W3C RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
Just some further food for thoughts

The introduction of a default profile (if we agree having it) gives more emphasis on the issue of caching, having a careful design whereby things would really scale. It will probably require us to change some parts of the spec to make things more specific than it is today.

However, from a spec writing and definition point of view, it may also simplify one thing. The current rule is that if we have a CURIE, but the prefix does not resolve to a defined URI, then the whole CURIE is considered to be a full URI. This is how we could accommodate having @rel="http://www.example.org/bla". But... we could also remove this thing altogether (thereby making things simpler and closer to RDFa 1.0. Instead, we could agree that the default profile would include the prefix mapping 'http' -> 'http:' (and the same for a bunch of other http schemes).