Re: "Triage" of ISSUE-69

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:16:08 +0100
Cc: W3C RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
To: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>

On Jan 21, 2011, at 14:11 , Toby Inkster wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 12:03:52 +0100
> Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org> wrote:
>
>> 1. Include a sentence in the RDFa 1.1 Core which disallows the usage
>> of 'xml' and 'xmlns' as valid prefixes, both in their definitions
>> (ie, listed in @prefix) and in using them as a CURIE. Ie, hitting
>> such a CURIE should generate an error.
>
> The RDFa 1.0 test suite had a test (test 0142) that required
> implementations to interpret xmlns:xml="..." and xmlns:xmlns="..."
> as not establishing prefix mappings unless they were set to their
> predefined meaning.

Interesting, I did not even remember that... but there is a difference. A good XML library would probably catch those settings as not legal. But if one uses @prefix="xml: http://..." then it is entirely in our 'domain'...

That being said, this may mean that we have to stick to the approach of not allowing them at all, regardless of whether we have default prefixes or not. I can happily live with that, too although, as far as RDF is concerned, these prefixes are indeed pretty much just prefixes...