IRI Normalization in the RDF-API

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:24:58 +0000
To: RDFA Working Group <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
CC: Sandro Hawke <sandro@w3.org>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Hi All,

I'm wondering if it is within the scope of the WG recharter to ( or
"legally" for lack of better terms) define IRI normalization rules for
use by implementations of the RDF API when handling IRIs (noting that we
already define IRI rather than RDF URI Reference).

There are several normalization rules which could be applied, ranging
from fixes on invalid IRIs (incorrect percent encoding) through to
syntax normalization rules for generic URI/IRIs, and including optional
scheme specific normalization rules, based on scheme specific equivalence.

This issue has just been raised (again) on public-lod, see [1] which
gives examples of each of the aforementioned normalizations and when
they apply, and [2] which asks the question should this be done (as part
of the RDF WG charter)

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2011Jan/0141.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2011Jan/0137.html

Best,