Last Call Response to ISSUE-62: @prefix processing order

From: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:24:36 -0500
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
CC: RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
Hi Ivan,

This is an official response from the RDFa Working Group concerning a
Last Call issue that you raised concerning the processing order of the
@prefix attribute:

http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/track/issues/62

We discussed this issue during the telecon last week, the record of the
conversation can be found in the minutes:

http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/meetings/2011-01-13#ISSUE__2d_62__3a____40_prefix_processing_order

As you may recall, the conversation focused on whether or not we had
decided that @prefix would be processed beginning-to-end or
end-to-beginning. Earlier, when discussing ISSUE-23:

http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/track/issues/23

we had decided that @profile should be processed end-to-beginning based
on argumentation from Toby Inkster and Mark Birbeck. The group decided
that the order that was picked for @profile should be the same for
@prefix to reduce the cognitive load on developers. We didn't want
@profile to be processed end-to-beginning and @prefix to be processed
beginning-to-end. After some discussion, we decided that
beginning-to-end seemed to make the most amount of sense and that the
decision should apply to both @prefix and @profile. That is to say, this
decision overturns the decision we made for ISSUE-23.

@prefix MUST be processed beginning-to-end.
@profile MUST be processed beginning-to-end.

Thank you for this feedback, Ivan, as well as all of the feedback,
implementation advice, and W3C process suggestions that you have
provided throughout the life-cycle of the RDFa work. Your time and
energy to ensure that we make it to REC while doing a thorough job is
very much appreciated.

Since this is a Last Call issue, we ask that you please respond to this
e-mail and let us know if this solution works for you.

blog: Linked Data in JSON
http://digitalbazaar.com/2010/10/30/json-ld/