Re: Last Call Response to ISSUE-73: RDFa Profile management

On Feb 28, 2011, at 15:25 , Shane McCarron wrote:

> Well... we have no requirement that all host language default profiles are a superset of the RDFa+XML default profile.  And indeed I can easily imagine a host language (ShameML) where I do not want terms defined in that profile.  Or I do not want prefixes defined in     that profile.  Why would we have such a requirement?

In my mind, the intention of the RDFa+XML default profile is to include the prefixes of the most widely used vocabularies in RDF. So I would turn things around: why would ShameML _not_ want to refer to those prefixes? What does it harm? (Note that I agree with your for terms, and I do not think the default profile should include many terms if any).

It is obviously a source of error if we have to repeat the content into two different profiles.

> Second, even if we DID have such a requirement, it would certainly be more efficient to just require that the data be included in the     profiles than to have each language processor read / process two profiles every time they parse a document.  Wouldn't it?

If a processor correctly caches then this does not seem to make a huge difference.

Ivan