Re: GRDDL and XHTML+RDFa 1.1

On Feb 15, 2011, at 13:50 , Shane McCarron wrote:

> GRDDL's abstract says:
>
>> The markup includes a namespace-qualified attribute for use in general-purpose XML documents and a profile-qualified link relationship for use in valid XHTML documents. The GRDDL mechanism also allows an XML namespace document (or XHTML profile document) to declare that every document associated with that namespace (or profile) includes gleanable data and for linking to an algorithm for gleaning the data.
>
> So.... both the profile attribute AND the document at the XHTML namespace URI provide guidance to a GRDDL processor.  Now, it may be the case that RDFa is no longer extractable via GRDDL.

The current XSLT is for RDFa 1.0. Fabien Gandon wrote it; I have no idea whether he intends to upgrade it to RDFa 1.1. And I have no idea whether the profile mechanism can be implemented in GRDDL. And I am not sure that even the current script is general enough to handle the non-XHTML case, so we may have to restrict that to XHML only.

However... my understanding of GRDDL is that the namespace document may include a guidance to GRDDL. If it is already there, that will not change because we are not changing the namespace document to (X)HTML. I would separate the profile issue from that.

Users may, of course, add their own, GRDDL specific profiles if they wish. There is no obligation to use only the RDFa profiles for GRDDL purposes.

Ivan