Re: GRDDL and XHTML+RDFa 1.1

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 06:42:07 +0100
Cc: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
To: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>

On Feb 15, 2011, at 24:32 , Toby Inkster wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:39:35 -0600
> Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:

>> XHTML Family of markup languages uses the
>> mechanism for transforming XHTML+RDFa documents into
>> RDF as defined by [[GRDDL]].
>
> Presumably by "RDF" it means "RDF/XML". After all, XHTML+RDFa is
> already RDF.
>
> Will this still work in RDFa 1.1? Our profile feature in particular
> seems like it requires capabilities beyond what most XSLT
> implementations can offer.

Worse. I am not even sure I understand the goal of the original remark we inherited! Adding an explicit profile (instead of using an implicit one) does not provide any automatism for a GRDDL processor. (Note that the _this_ profile does not include any RDFa specific instructions.)

I really wonder whether this remark should not be removed altogether. If we have an RDFa+XHTML document, why would one want to use GRDDL to transform it into RDF/XML in the first place? This is just a superfluous remark for the reader that causes more confusion (eg, harm) than good. I presume it is informative, ie, can be removed without any further ado.