Re: Editorial changes to clarify usage of URIs / Absolute URIs and @profile

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2011 08:58:20 +0100
Cc: nathan@webr3.org, Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, RDFA Working Group <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
To: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>

On Feb 9, 2011, at 07:40 , Toby Inkster wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 16:34:54 +0000
> Nathan <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>
>> I was just suggesting that we changed the value space of @profile to
>> be absolute-URI, because then regardless of whether somebody wrote
>> http://a.b.c/e or http://a.b.c/e#f or http://a.b.c/e#g in @profile,
>> it would always be seen as http://a.b.c/e .
>
> My suggestion:
>
> 	- consumers MUST support fragment identifiers in profile URIs
> 	  (by simply trimming them off); and

I do not even think we should specify trimming; this is something that is done by HTTP anyway. I agree with the MUST

> 	- publishers MUST NOT publish documents referring to profile

MUST->SHOULD

I see no reason the so strongly disallow them. Except for...

> 	  URIs with fragment identifiers.
>
> This gives future RDFa Working Groups an extension point: they can
> assign meaning to a fragment ID on a profile.

... this of course but, I must admit, I simply do not see any use case for this so again, why bother that much? :-)