Re: Editorial changes to clarify usage of URIs / Absolute URIs and @profile

On Feb 8, 2011, at 12:12 , Nathan wrote:

> Hi Shane,
>
> Following on from two discussions on the list about the use of @profiles, and confusion over the terminology "TERMorCURIEorAbsURI" in the current RDFa-Core draft, I'd propose the following clarifications to the spec.
>
> define:
>
>  URI
>    URI  = scheme ":" hier-part [ "?" query ] [ "#" fragment ]
>    A URI conforming to the Generic URI Syntax, as per section 3 of
>    RFC3986 [1]
>
>  AbsoluteURI
>    absolute-URI  = scheme ":" hier-part [ "?" query ]
>    An absolute-URI as per section 4.3 of RFC 3986 [2]

Wait, I am not sure I understand this.

I do _not_ think that it is worthwhile for us to restrict a @profile value to be an AbsoluteURI in this sense. What you do is to remove the optional fragment, and I think that this is unnecessary on the specification level. We can add some warning on the effect of cache, but that is it.

What I want to be sure of is that I could not do something like

@profile="#me"

ie, a 'pure' fragment ID, ie, a relative URI. (The same, probably, for @vocab.) But the URI specification you quote in the document seems to exclude that anyway. Ie, the spec is probably fine as far as I am concerned, it is just that some explanation might be worth somewhere that we do not use relative URI-s.

Ivan