Re: primary use case of the RDF API

Benjamin Adrian wrote:
> Hi Nathan,
>
> In general I agree with you and of course your arguments. I just want the
> RDF API be kind of applicable even without the use of third-party
> libraries. We also had this application focus in mind when designing the
> RDFa API.

I guess my question to you then would be, if it's not implemented by
third parties, just where is it implemented / provided, as defacto with
an OS or?

> You refer to the DOM API. It is a good comparison and I like our API be as
> clear, focussed and concise. But I have also in mind that I never use the
> DOM API as such, because it is not developing-friendly. For rapid
> developments I prefer using the simplified wrappers JDOM in Java, TagSoup
> in Python, and JQuery in Javascript. I would like the RDF API be
> developing-friendly without creating a one-API fits all needs monster.
>
> And this compromise can be achieved by adding just a handful of convenient
> methods.

I'm tempted to agree there, to be brutally honest, I'd love to get the
core interfaces that are there already nailed properly with a couple of
implementations done ASAP /then/ spend the rest of the time focussed on
creating a nice set of convenience methods, or perhaps even a
subject/resource/object oriented view of the API.

Quite sure that's spilling out in to my every day mails as well, when
often what I mean is can we please get the bare minimum set of
interfaces done that enable interoperability first, then look at adding
niceties once we're actually working with implementations of the API, my
thinking being that these convenience methods should just drop right out
of the libraries as we use them, and when they do we can balance and
address whether it would be best to add them to the existing interfaces,
or whether to create a second layer of abstraction / information hiding.

Best,

Nathan