Re: Ongoing objection to RDFa Profiles format (as XHTML+RDFa)

Nathan,

before you really go down that route...

On Oct 8, 2010, at 14:10 , Nathan wrote:

[snip]

> Define a new HTML element <prefix> with two attributes @name and @value. to be used as such:
>
> <prefix name="foaf" value="http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/">

Although very early versions of RDFa (if I remember well, I was not part of the group back then) did introduce new elements, the group made a very conscious decision to express everything in terms of attributes only. (Hence the name, RDF in attributes). The reason is that adding a new element to a host language is much more demanding. It is generally true that, say, a browser will simply ignore an attribute it does not understand but will add that attribute to the DOM tree, it may screw up the presentation algorithm of a browser if it hits an element it does not understand. On the other hand, convincing the HTML5 group to add a new, RDFa specific element to HTML5 is a lost cause.

[snip]