Re: RDFa API comments from TimBL

Tim, Ivan, All,

I strongly agree that the collective API needs defined, considered and
produced as 3 separate parts, a core RDF API, an RDFa extension, then an
extension which considers working with RDF programmatically, and I
believe that's the approach we have and are taking (I know I personally
am - implementing constrains that it is done that way).

I'd also like to point out that any implementation of the RDFa API which
is to be usable, requires the functionality of all 3 parts.

Thus, Tim, perhaps if I refine the question to ask, which of the
following approaches would you recommend:

(1) Define all 3 parts separately, and in parallel as we are now, within
the RDFa WG, releasing as a single document which is clearly split in to
three key parts.

(2) as per 1, but releasing two separate documents, one RDF specific,
and one with the RDFa extensions in it - we currently have "RDFa 1.1
API" and "RDF TripleStore APIs (optional)" under milestones, this could
be leveraged.

(3) Have all 3 parts defined by different working groups

If (1) or (2) then is there anything you would like to see happen, or
anybody you would like us to work closely with, to ensure technical
excellence? (Ivan can you confirm no change of charter would be needed?)

If (3) then there are many questions, who when where, how does this
affect our charter and timeline, could a parallel WG be opened and
completed by April 2011? and so and so forth.

I guess my simple response would be, if not us, now, as part of the RDFa
API; then who, when and where?

Perhaps it's just me but I feel that the members of this group are
uniquely positioned to consider all angles and in a sense fast track
something extremely beneficial to the web through standardization (and
needed now, if not yesterday), whilst both ensuring a technically sound
API that's proven by implementation and incorporation in to existing
libraries, and ensuring open communication and feedback from those who
are extremely experienced in RDF APIs and tooling.

Best,

Nathan