Re: RDF Graphs and Stores Summary

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for putting together that very detailed description of the
various points related to this discussion. My thoughts below:

On 11/04/2010 12:50 PM, Nathan wrote:
> To summarise, we need to agree on the answers to the following questions:
>
> - Are an RDF Graph and an RDF Triple Store distinct?
> - Can we use an RDF Triple Store instead of an RDF Graph in the API?
> - Should we use an RDF Triple Store instead of an RDF Graph in the API?
> - Which of the three interfaces should we define as part of the RDFa
> API, [ RDF Graph, RDF Triple Store, RDF Graph Store ]
> - Which of the three interfaces might we define as part of a note?
>

> And after that rather lengthy email, here's my personal opinion:
>
>  - Define an "RDF Graph" interface (aligned with Array in javascript)

+1 for RDFGraph interface aligned w/ ECMA-262-v5.

>  - Expose a property or method on the DataParser interface which gives
> access to the "processor graph" as required by RDFa Core.

+1 to method, not property.

I think the method should return a copy of the processor graph, in case
one wants to do something with it between multiple processing runs. If
we use a property, the property would change every time the parser runs.
I don't think that there is a big downside to that, so if there is a
compelling reason to use a property, we can do that. It also feels to me
like the implementation of the processor graph should be hidden so that
we could use named graphs behind-the-scenes as soon as we get them
(after RDF WG discusses how they should be implemented).

>  - Assert that we have two as-yet-undefined interfaces, "RDF Triple
> Store" and "RDF Graph Store"

+1 to RDF Graph Store
-1 to RDF Triple Store - I don't think we need this concept, feels like
                         we're over-engineering the mental model.

>  - Clear the issues and get the next editors draft of the RDFa API done.

+1 to this - although, I don't think there would be anyone against
getting this done and out there. :)

>  - If we have time, define one or both of the Triple Store and Graph
> Store interfaces, in a note.

-1 to Triple Store, reasoning is above.
+1 to Graph Store in a note.

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Saving Journalism - The PaySwarm Developer API
http://digitalbazaar.com/2010/09/12/payswarm-api/