Re: UPDATED Telecon Agenda - 6th May 2010, 1400 UTC

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2010 14:18:59 +0200
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
Just one point because you did not understand one of my remarks...

On May 6, 2010, at 13:18 , Mark Birbeck wrote:

>> That might
>> cover a number of cases for RDFa, but if we really have a general concept of a store where I
>> could also plug, say, a turtle parser, then this approach breaks down (because there is no
>> reference to a DOM node any more...)
>
> I don't quite follow that, but I'm sure it will come out in our discussions.
>
> (I'm not sure if it's what you are talking about, but the DOM node
> goes into the triple store; the add method used in Store takes a
> triple plus a pointer to any object, and that will usually be the DOM
> node that is in scope when the triple is generated.)

What I meant is: the concept of a store, the parsing, the query are all general concepts that are not specific to RDFa. Ie, I could imagine something like

store.parse("turtle","http://example.org/t.ttl")

ie, that a Javascript application accesses an RDF file somewhere and integrates it with whatever is in the store already. After all, that is the beauty of RDF... but in this case a DOM node becomes irrelevant...