Re: The next HTML+RDFa Heartbeat

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 07:26:02 +0000
Cc: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
To: Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com>

On Mar 30, 2010, at 2:22 PM, Shelley Powers wrote:

>> I'd like to point again to Tim's message
>> (<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2010Feb/0871.html>):
>>
>>> It is important (a) that the design be modular; (b) that the
>>> specifications be kept modular and (c) that the communities of expertise of
>>> the respective fields (graphics and data) be involved in the design process.
>>
>> Did we make any progress on (c)?
>>
>> Best regards, Julian
>>

> Is Microdata being handled in a separate email list? That could go a
> long way to help give the Microdata community existence independent of
> the HTML5 spec.

There's four factors I would consider important to determining whether there should be a separate email list for a particular draft:

1) Would the editor and existing community of reviewers for the spec feel more comfortable using the public-html list, or a separate list?
2) Would anyone be more likely to give technical feedback if there were a separate list? How many people? How much more likely?
3) Would anyone be less likely to give technical feedback if there were a separate list? How many people? How much less likely?
4) Is discussion of this particular draft creating a lot of noise that distracts from discussion of other specs?

In this case of Microdata, I think the answers to (1) and (4) are clear (prefer public-html, not too much noise). (2) and (3) are judgment calls. I don't think I've heard from anyone who would be willing to review the Microdata draft, but only if there is a separate list for discussion. However, at least some active commenters have said that it would be a hassle for them to have to join another list.

Regards,
Maciej