Re: A rose by any other name is just as thorny...

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 12:31:06 +0200
Cc: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>

On Mar 28, 2010, at 20:19 , Shane McCarron wrote:

> Actually, I don't like this at all.  I don't want to lose the ability to have mixed case relationships - it would violate the specific use case we are trying to satisfy (make foaf the default vocabulary in a snippet).

Exactly. If I cannot say (Toby's example)

<a vocab= "http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#" rel="seeAlso" ...>

than this is fairly bad. To come back to one of the (granted, very RDF oriented) self-documenting OWL vocabulary definition, ie, where an OWL vocabulary is defined in terms of RDFa to yield both the RDF code and its documentation in one place, a very natural way of doing that would be to use @vocab for the owl terms. But OWL is full of camel case terms. In general, using camel case terms in RDF vocabularies is very widespread.

Ie: restricting to lower case in @rel/@rev is not a good idea...:-(

> Maybe this was said already - I don't remember.  Can't we just say that references to the XHTML vocabulary are mapped to lower case and any other vocabularies are not?  I know it is sort of a hack, but it would mean that we don't need to to any remote retrieval to know if the vocab is case insensitive or not.

It is a hack. It is even an ugly hack:-) But if the case insensitiveness of the XHTML case is the _only_ reason why we would use a default @profile for (X)HTML, we could do something like that. (We still have the issue of junk triples, though...)

But what this should say is that 'if the @vocab value is '....xhtml', then keywords are case insensitive for @rel/@rev. ie, we would not still not list the keywords in the document, the hack would be @vocab value based, so to say, right?

Ivan