epub as a use case?

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 09:15:05 -0400
To: W3C RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
CC: Felix Sasaki <felix.sasaki@fh-potsdam.de>
I had some interesting discussions yesterday with a person from Samsung.
It seems that, in Korea, the usage of the ePub format[1] for electronic
books will take quite a lead; indeed, there seems to be some government
decision so that all elementary and secondary school books should be
available in ePub format soon. ePub seems to be maintained by an
organization called the International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF)[2]

However, again according to that Samsung person, there is no standard
metadata format for ePub, though it is obviously needed. My
understanding is that ePub has, internally an XML structure: XHTML or
DTBook (all my wisdom comes from [3]:-). Well, RDFa seems to be the
ideal vehicle for expressing metadata...

It would be good if we had some contacts with [2]. Felix Sasaki, one of
'lurkers' in our mailing list:-) was also there yesterday and he said he
might have some contact leads. But I wondered whether anyone in the
group has similar contacts that could be used. The goal would be to
establish ePub's metadata as a clear and documented use case for RDFa,
maybe even work with [2] to do that officially, a bit like with ODF.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ivan

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB