Re: attempting to merge the 'vocab' and 'profile' documents

Mark,

I do not believe our discussion was technical level. The version of the
'unified' document I published a week ago[1] took over the approach you
had in your blog; yes, tokens are prefixes in that document. And yes, it
works. To make the discussion clear(er) (or muddier?), yesterday I
produced an alternative which I have just put up on our site[2] which
separates prefixes and keywords on the definition level. The required
modifications on the processing steps are slightly more elaborate in [2]
than in [1], but nothing dramatic. Ie, technically, both designs are
valid and usable.

I believe the difference between the two is "social". By making a strict
separation between keywords and prefixes (like in [2]) we could argue
that it is conceptually clearer to users and authors and [1] might be a
bit more complicated to understand and follow. Keywords and prefixes are
useful for different communities (as Ben formulated it), so keep them
separated on the specification level, too. (Note that I do not have
facts to prove or disprove all this, all this is just a bunch of
feelings...).

When I made my first implementation, before all this discussion began, I
actually implemented a variant of [2], ie, separation of prefixes and
keywords. Then, while editing [1], I was seduced by your design:-). But
the discussion with Ben, his formulation of different communities, made
me think again, I must admit, and I am more tempted today by a direction
outlined in [2]...

Ivan

P.S. There _is_ an open technical issue that might actually force us to
go for [2], and this is what I described at the end of my mail[3]: do we
want to define restrictions on keyword usage per attributes, the way we
have them now in XHTML+RDFa, or not? If yes, then [2] becomes definitely
the clearer way of doing this...

[1] http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/drafts/2010/ED-vocab-20100305/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/drafts/2010/ED-vocab-20100311/
[3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdfa-wg/2010Mar/0034.html