Re: attempting to merge the 'vocab' and 'profile' documents

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 15:58:58 +0000
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: W3C RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
Hi Ivan,

> Right. And I would also be happy to keep to profile if we can... that being said, what this means
> that if the HTML5 evolution does not allow for @profile (because it is not reintroduced) the
> @vocab term might not be ideal either...:-(

I'm not too worried about this. If @profile is part of HTML5, then we
use it. If it's not part of HTML5 then we create it.

> I guess my only point was to take some sort of a JSON encoding of RDF and not just a simply key-value pairs.

This is where I would disagree.

First, it feels somewhat bloated to me, to start taking values that
drive processing and expressing them in RDF.

N3, SPARQL, RDF/XML, RDFa...they all have ways to express things that
help when processing a document, but without having to resort to using
RDF. For example, in this:

  @prefix foaf: <http://foaf-namespace> .

  <> foaf:name "Ivan Herman" .

Why turn @prefix into RDF? The data we want is your name, and the
'foaf' prefix mapping just helps us get there.

And second, I think to create these mappings using RDF is to look at
this at the wrong level of abstraction. There invariably needs to be a
way to bootstrap a parser, and expressing that bootstrapping in the
same language as the language to be parsed is a little circular.

But also, it really is the case that we have a name/value pair here --
it becomes quite contrived to turn the pair into a triple, by making
up a subject.

> That being said: we still have to decide whether we _do_ need JSON... I for one would be happy to get rid of
> it here though, I must admit, these b...dy security issues make me think twice (and more...)

Right. And for me the browser is a key target, hence the reason for
introducing JSON.

Regards,

Mark

--