Re: Telecon Agenda - 4th March 2010, 1500 UTC

On 2010-3-4 13:05 , Shane McCarron wrote:

> Ivan Herman wrote:
>> On 2010-3-4 04:07 , Manu Sporny wrote:
>>
>>> The default may even be to never follow-your-nose. For example, Google
>>> may hard code their vocabulary prefixes in their RDFa processors -
>>> giving processor writers this flexibility may be okay as long as we're
>>> clear that the triples that an RDFa processor generates must always be
>>> generated as if the @profile/@vocab document were de-referenced and the
>>> prefixes loaded out of the @profile/@vocab document.
>>>

>> That I think I would not like (or I misunderstand you). This would mean
>> that an RDFa document, when interpreted via Google, would yield a
>> different set of triples than when run through, say, the distiller. In
>> effect, that would mean that google would control what other
>> implementations would have to use to make it interoperable and I do not
>> think that is o.k.
>>

> I am pretty sure Manu just means that it is permissible to cache the
> contents of the vocabulary definition, and that it is also permissible
> to hard code the contents.  So if we (or Google or whomever) define a
> vocabulary at a well known URI and commit to never changing that vocab
> at that URI, it is permissible to hard code it in an implementation.  I
> personally have no problem with that, nor do I have a problem with
> caching (although we should probably ensure that the HTTP cache-control
> header is used).

That is absolutely fine. Actually, this is something we should even
promote (just as XML editors should cache some well known DTD-s instead
of getting to the W3C server every time they see, say, the SVG DTD...).
But the author is still supposed to add the correct @vocab definition in
the file.

Well, let us see what Manu thinks he wanted to say:-)

FOAF   : http://www.ivan-herman.net/foaf.rdf
vCard  : http://www.ivan-herman.net/HermanIvan.vcf