Re: Meta tags in HTML documents

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:28:45 +0100
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Cc: public-rdfa-wg@w3.org
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:35:44 +0200
Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:

> I've seen a few people ask "why not name= in the header?"; any plans
> to change this in 1.1? Or a nice link I can point people at that
> explains the reasoning?

(This isn't an answer on behalf of the WG.)

Mark pointed towards the reasoning on the OGP list. @name in HTML is
overloaded already - it means so many different things in different
places. Consider the difference between:

	<input name="foo">
	<a name="foo">
	<param name="foo">

For RDFa 1.0, it was decided that a clean slate was needed, and that
meant using a different attribute.

There aren't any *plans* to change this in 1.1, but I don't think our
charter would rule it out, so it's probably a reasonable thing to take
a look at.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>