Re: Other names for 'property groups' [was: Re: RDFa DOM API - New Editor's Draft]

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2010 10:11:33 +0200
Cc: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
My problem is with the word 'Property'. As I said in my comment:

[[[
- right before section 3[...]

Actually, the example uses e.style.setProperty which is, I presume, the way to set a CSS property. But then... using 'Property' for our Property groups become really really confusing! I wonder whether the example was on our properties or not. Bottom line, we should find another name for Property Groups (though I do not know what...)
]]]

whether we like it or not, the term 'property' seems to be taken by, eg, CSS. I do not mind too much the term 'group' or 'collection'. For a python programmer, as you said, the term 'dictionary' is very specific, we may want to avoid that.

I was thinking of 'predicate group'; in the RDF world 'property' and 'predicate' is used pretty much interchangeably. But it may sound a bit too strange for a non-RDF person. 'data group'?

Ivan