Re: RDFa Profiles, terms, and predicates (oh my!)

On Jul 23, 2010, at 19:05 , Shane McCarron wrote:

> Among your excellent points, you say:
>
> On 7/23/2010 8:59 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
>> This model is nice because the target URI can refer to RDFa or to any other RDF formats, ie, instead of a recursive call it can also go and invoke any RDF parser that the underlying library provides.
>>

> I think this is the key reason that relative URIs won't work.  While we REQUIRE that an RDFa Profile be defined in RDFa, that profile might have other formats and might return a JSON representation, for example, if the requestor indicated in the HTTP Accept header that format was okay.  In that situation, clearly we can't assume any special processing of the returned data.
>
> On the other hand... since the server controls the content of that profile, obviously the server (or profile author) could ensure that the alternate representations were in their appropriate forms; this would include ensuring that a URI mapping was absolute.  That requirement is in my mind independent of whether we require that an RDFa Processor handle relative URIs in object literals associated with 'rdfa:uri'.  We control the horizontal and the vertical here. If we want to mandate special processing for a specific predicate, we can obviously do that.  We already do it for the RDF:XMLLiteral datatype for example.

That is correct. The issue is that there is no clean (ie, not out-of-band) way to to get hold of the base for that particular literal. That is the missing piece.

> Anyway... just because we can do a thing doesn't mean we should do a thing.  Requiring that the object literal associated with 'rdfa:uri' be an absolute URI seems the cleanest solution.  I again bow to your wisdom.

Scary:-)

> Thanks for clearing this up.  I will add text to Section 9 so the next idiot doesn't ask this again!

If all the people were just as idiot as you are, the World would be a better place...:-)

Cheers