Re: ISSUE-26: We don't need any RDFS vocabulary for error triples!

From: Benjamin Adrian <benjamin.adrian@dfki.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:38:18 +0200
To: RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>

I say we don't need any RDFS vocabulary for error triples!

Read why:

The spec sais:

/"SAX-based processors or processors that utilize function or method
to report the generation of triples are classified as event-based RDFa

That means, the callback function is called  for every generated RDF
Parsing error triples with these callbacks can be extremely difficult, when
the ordering of the generated triples inside the processor graph are
(as it may occur -- it's RDF not XML!).

So searching the stream for triples with patterns like:

rdf:type rdfa:ProfileReferenceError

is nice when the generated triples' ordering is like this:

      _:1 a rdfa:ProfileReferenceError ;
      _:1 dc:description "The @profile value could not be deferenced" ;
      _:1 dc:date "2010-06-30T13:40"^^xsd:dateTime ;

But what if they are generated like this?

      _:1 dc:date "2010-06-30T13:40"^^xsd:dateTime ;
      _:1 dc:description "The @profile value could not be deferenced" ;
      _:1 a rdfa:ProfileReferenceError ;

Then you have to puffer and search the whole stream, which means you
should better use the
model based approaches of error reporting.

--> NEITHER EARL NOR ANOTHER RDFS  it should be really simple.

I don't think that the intention of EARL matches the use case of our
error vocabulary.
The used RDF vocabulary must be as simple as possible.
That means it should use as few properties as possible.
Nobody will ever reason on an error graph. So why not
summarizing all information about a single error in a single triple
describing a stack trace.

[] c:description "ProfileReferenceError: The @profile value
<http://www.example.org/profile> could not be deferenced. \n
                             Line <http://www.example.org>
<http://www.example.org/profile>: 564 \n
                             HTTP GET: ....\ n
                             HTTP RESPONSE ".

If you say, well, a string is not not enough, try an XMLLiteral:

[] c:description "<ProfileReferenceError>: The @profile value
<http://www.example.org/profile> could not be deferenced. \n
<URL>http://www.example.org <http://www.example.org/profile></URL>

That's it :) I'm fine with XML or plain Literals as objects for error

Best regards,

Benjamin Adrian
Email : benjamin.adrian@dfki.de
WWW : http://www.dfki.uni-kl.de/~adrian/
Tel.: +49631 20575 145
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künstliche Intelligenz GmbH
Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender) Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313