Re: ISSUE-36 (Default vocab specification): Should Profile documents allow the specification of a default vocabulary? [RDFa 1.1 Core]

Technically, this can be done (and the thread already describes it, in fact).

I am wondering, at the moment, whether we should do it. The reason are more usability.

The fact is that the @vocab attribute, though useful, is also a dangerous one. Indeed, defining a @vocab value means that all rel="blabla" values will get a URI and a predicate, ie, will generate triples, regardless of whether http://vocab-uri/blabla makes sense or not (eg, if the @rel value is misspelled). This is potentially a problem by polluting the triple stores with meaningless URI-s. Yes, we have that danger with the current @vocab already, but at least the author (whether a tool author like drupal or the end user) has to make a clear decision in using it, so maybe (but only maybe) he/she will be more careful and keep an eye on things. If the default @vocab goes to a @profile file (ie, controlled by some other publisher, for example), then that level of mental control is gone.

Again, this is not a technical argument. So I am undecided. But I would like to have a clear use case where this is necessary. We should not allow it simply because technically it can be done...

Ivan