Re: ISSUE-36 (Default vocab specification): Should Profile documents allow the specification of a default vocabulary? [RDFa 1.1 Core]

On 07/16/10 09:56, Martin McEvoy wrote:
>  Just some feedback that may be helpful when considering this Issue.
>
>> 1. How does one declare a default vocabulary via the profile document?
>
> link rel="profile" X/HTML5+ documents.
> head @profile for XHTML 1.X and HTML4.X documents.

Ooops, that should read:

1. How does one declare a default vocabulary USING the profile document?

In other words, we have "rdfa:term" and "rdfa:prefix" which can be used
to specify terms and prefix mappings. Would it be
"rdfa:default-vocabulary" to specify the default vocabulary to use in
documents including the @profile?

Good point - so that's an argument for @vocab overriding any default
vocabulary specified in the @profile document.

>> The biggest question is the value of this feature? What is the use
>> case that we are attempting to support? Does this overly-complicate
>> RDFa without much payback?
>
> From experience I have to run two parsers one to produce a list of
> prefix mappings (whether the profile has been cached or not) these
> prefix mapings (all of them) then have to be injected into a second
> instance in order to parse the containing RDFa of the referring page. I
> have found downloading a list of prefix mappings from
> http://prefix.cc/popular/all.file.txt and processing that faster at
> resolving prefixes than processing @profile. In short I'd rather not :)

Are you saying that you would rather not have to support this feature?
Or that you'd rather not have to download a @profile document to figure
out the default vocabulary? Or something else?

Thanks for the feedback, Martin :)

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Myth Busting Web Stacks - PHP is Faster Than You Think
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/06/12/myth-busting-php/2/