Re: ISSUE-24 discussion

From: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 19:39:19 +0100
To: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Cc: RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:29:46 -0400
Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:

> <markbirbeck> The tricky bit now though is that we have to decide
> whether to continue with case-sensitive values in @rel...
> <markbirbeck> ...with the risk that some browsers might pull the rug
> from under us.

I really can't see that happening. DOM Level 2 says that enumerated
attributes (of which @rel is not one) should be case-normalised by
browsers, but in practise this has never happened because it breaks too
many scripts.

"""
<script type="text/javascript">
function doit()
{
	p = document.getElementById('foo');
	p.innerHTML = p.align;
}
window.onload = doit;
</script>
"""

According to DOM Level 2, the paragraph should read "left", but I
believe all browsers show "LeFT" (if they support scripting at all!)
If, after all these years case-normalisation hasn't been implemented
for those few attributes it was specified for, then I can't imagine
anyone clamouring to add case-normalisation requirements for even more
attributes.

The only way I can see the case-preservation of @rel and @rev being
changed is out of spite.

--