Re: Annotating our specs with RDF...

On Jul 4, 2010, at 19:55 , Shane McCarron wrote:

> Okay.... I was talking with Manu yesterday and I decided we should really be annotating our specs with RDF - via RDFa of course.  I then decided I should just extend ReSpec.js (the framework we are using to publish) to just do this for us magically.  So far, so good.  I went in, made changes, got it all working, and hit a wall.
>
> This is embarrassing, but after all this time I STILL don't really grok RDF.  Here's an example.  Our documents have a title.  dcterms has a title term in its vocabulary.  Great!  So, I want to express in RDF that this document has a title of whatever our title is....
>
> <title about="" property="dcterms:title">our title</title>
>
> That *seems* right to me.  I will get a triple that has a subject of the current document, a predicate of title, and an object of the title string.  Is that right?  Is that how a real RDF semweb person would do this?

Yes:-) (if you consider me a real RDF semweb person, that is...)

> What about the Abstract?  The bibo vocabulary has an abstract term.  Great!  Our sections are surrounded by 'div's, so....

> Is that right?  Am I saying this document (the about is inherited) has an abstract at some URI?  That seems backwards to me.  It seems more sensible to say:

> This URI is the abstract for this document...  Or.... maybe the thing shouldn't be a pointer at all?  Maybe it should be the actual abstract?

The question is how bibo:abstract is defined, ie, whether it expects a literal or an object. I would expect the former. So I tried to find it, looking at:

http://bibotools.googlecode.com/svn/bibo-ontology/trunk/doc/index.html

and the range refers to Literal. So yes, my guess was right, and your latest version is indeed the right one...

So you do have the right instincts, even if you seem to fight with them:-)

Ivan