Re: list-expansion in RDFa

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 10:58:00 +0000
To: Gregg Kellogg <gregg@kellogg-assoc.com>
Cc: RDFa Community <public-rdfa@w3.org>, "public-rdfa-wg@w3.org" <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
Hi Gregg,

> However, the inability to reasonably serialize RDF lists in
> RDFa is a shortcoming.

In a way you could say that the shortcoming is in RDF, not RDFa, in
that there is no clear frontrunner for describing lists in RDF.

Coming up with a /syntax/ for lists in RDFa is really easy -- after
all, HTML and XHTML already support lists so it doesn't take much to
piggy-back those.

But whilst it's obvious what we can 'hang' our RDFa syntax on, it's
not so obvious what that syntax should 'mean'.

I think we did the right thing by not defining any lists until it was
clear which lists the community wanted, but you're right that now
might be a good time to crack this one.

(I've used OWL and SKOS together in RDFa to create 'self-documenting'
ontologies, and as Toby says, rdf:Lists are painful; I'd certainly
vote for sorting that problem out in RDFa.)

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Birbeck, webBackplane