Re: A possible design to incorporate collections and containers into RDFa?

From: Christoph LANGE <ch.lange@jacobs-university.de>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 00:27:37 +0200
To: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Cc: W3C RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>, Jeni Tennison <jeni@jenitennison.com>
Hi Ivan, hi all,

> http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/wiki/ContainersAndCollections

good news – I also welcome collection/container support in RDFa!

I have comments on the "possible questions" 2 and 3:

2. On containers:  Why do we need a special syntax involving pseudo resources and container preprocessing at all?  Wouldn't standard RDF already work?  E.g.

<li about="http://www.worldcatlibraries.org/isbn/9780262912423" typeof="bibo:Book">
   <em property="dc:title">A Semantic Web Primer</em>, by
</li>

– or, instead of rdf:_1, rdf:_2 – as the author prefers –

would yield the desired result, as @typeof="rdf:Seq" also generates a bnode.

For collections, i.e. linked lists, a special processing mode is, of course, needed – at least I can't come up with any better idea.

3. On @typeof vs. @resource: I have not checked possible side effects w.r.t. the spec, but I would consider @typeof more intuitive, as both @typeof in normal RDFa and @typeof in your "collection processing" mode generate bnodes.

Just my 2 cents – cheers,

Christoph