Re: further on ISSUE-39

On 13 Aug 2010, at 09:33, Ivan Herman wrote:
> You say Toby's examples below are compelling, and he definitely
> argues for keeping the current structure for prefixes. Do you
> propose to have a different approach for terms than for prefixes?

I would be ok with having different approaches for establishing term
mappings and prefix mappings. They do different things, after all.

> You also said (in your other mail) that you do not feel Toby's
> arguments are valid for terms, only for prefixes. To change his
> examples a bit: if I have a term definition
>
> <http://www.ex.org/vocab/1.0/MyTerm> rdfa:term "exampleTerm" .
>
> and, through some evolution of the vocabulary we have a 2.0 version,
> but this has a bridge of the form
>
> <http://www.ex.org/vocab/1.0/MyTerm> owl:sameAs <http://www.ex.org/vocab/2.0/MyTerm
> > .

Term mappings are used with classes and properties (and datatypes).
For classes and properties, OWL has specific mechanisms --
owl:equivalentClass and owl:equivalentProperty -- which do not have
the effect of “copying” statements like rdfa:term over from one entity
to the other. For datatypes, using owl:sameAs is just asking for
trouble. So the use of owl:sameAs on the URIs involved in a term
mapping is likely an authoring mistake, and certainly bad practice.

That being said, I still don't see any major problems arising from it
for RDFa, see below.

> That, actually, means that I can also deduce a triple of the form
>
> <http://www.ex.org/vocab/2.0/MyTerm> rdfa:term "exampleTerm" .
>
> So how do we handle that?

So if you apply OWL reasoning to the profile document, you get:

   <http://www.ex.org/vocab/1.0/MyTerm> rdfa:term "exampleTerm" .
   <http://www.ex.org/vocab/2.0/MyTerm> rdfa:term "exampleTerm" .

This just means the profile author has established a mapping of the
same term to two different URIs. I suppose the RDFa draft already
specifies how to handle profiles like that? I read the document but
couldn't tell -- this needs to be tightened up in the document IMO,
and that should then take care of the owl:sameAs issue.

> Unless we can, somehow, formally _restrict_ the effect of an
> rdfa:term predicate on a specific graph somehow (that may be a
> possibility but I am not 100% sure how to do that, but maybe we
> can), this may create the same type of issues as the ones Toby is
> referring to.

You say it “may create the same type of isses”. Well, does it or does
it not? If it does, example please. If not, let's move on.

> So. Trying to move forward... The RDFa Core document is already
> juggling with the term "graph". It talks about default graph, the
> processor graph, etc. Ie, we can very well refer to the profile
> graph for a specific document. We could then make it very explicit
> in the RDFa Core spec that only those triples are considered that
> are part of that graph; this would take away this problem (as well
> as Toby's problem). Yes, we are bringing a closed world in through
> the back door:-)

This is in effect *already done* in the current draft, although
without using the word “graph”:

“Attempt to retrieve the content of the URI … parse the retrieved
content as an RDFa document … extract the triples into a collection
associated with that URI. Note: These triples must not be co-mingled
with the triples being extracted from any other URI.”
“It is possible that a referenced RDFa [profile] document will in turn
reference other documents via @profile. Regardless of the depth to
which such references might go, only the triples in the top level
document effect current processing.”
http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-rdfa-core-20100803/#s_profiles

I agree that the RDFa Profiles section could be improved by
consistently using a term like “profile graph”, replacing phrases such
as “extract the triples into a collection” or “for every extracted
triple”, regardless of the URI/literal issue discussed above.

Best,
Richard