Re: Re:

On 12 Aug 2010, at 14:31, Ivan Herman wrote:
> I just want to understand this: did you propose to change the term
> mapping approach to something like:
>
> <blabla> rdfa:term "something"
>
> whereas leaving the prefix mapping the way it is now in the
> document? This was not really clear.

I am very concerned about term mappings, because I believe that the
deployment story for RDFa 1.1 and onwards will be mostly about
profiles with term mappings.

I see prefix mappings as less critical, their main use IMO is to keep
the old RDF-heads happy. I don't really have an opinion on their
modelling. My intuition is that they are syntactical, while term
mappings say something meaningful about classes and properties. I
found Toby's examples below compelling.

Best,
Richard

> Ivan
>
>> Best,
>> Richard
>>

>> On 12 Aug 2010, at 10:24, Toby Inkster wrote:

>>> FWIW, I agree with your reasoning for the current vocab. Prefix
>>> and term
>>> mappings are semantically a relationship between two strings.
>>>
>>> Imagine this:
>>>
>>> 	<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> rdfa:prefix "foaf" .
>>>
>>> Now, the following is also true (probably):
>>>
>>> 	<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>
>>> 	  a owl:Ontology ;
>>> 	  owl:sameAs <http://dbpedia.org/resource/FOAF_(software)> .
>>>
>>> Thus it follows that:
>>>
>>> 	<http://dbpedia.org/resource/FOAF_(software)>
>>> 	  rdfa:prefix "foaf" .
>>>
>>> Thus an RDFa processor could expand 'foaf:name' to:
>>>
>>> 	<http://dbpedia.org/resource/FOAF_(software)name>
>>>
>>> Which we wouldn't want to happen.
>>>
>>> In RDF terms, when we're defining prefixes and terms we're not
>>> describing the underlying resources - we're just talking about
>>> the xsd:strings. We're not even talking about xsd:anyURIs, because
>>> say, "htt" is a valid expansion for a prefix, which might be used
>>> as follows:
>>>
>>> 	prefix="h: htt"
>>> 	property="h:p://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/"
>>>
>>> So I'd recommend keeping the current pattern, though I think the
>>> range of rdfa:uri should be changed to xsd:string for the above
>>> reason.
>>>
>>> Another argument against switching to
>>>
>>> 	<http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/> rdfa:prefix "foaf" .
>>>
>>> would be the fact that you'd lose the owl:FunctionalProperty-ness of
>>> rdfa:prefix and rdfa:term.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Toby A Inkster
>>> <mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>
>>> <http://tobyinkster.co.uk>
>>>

> ----
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
> mobile: +31-641044153

Linked Data Technologist • Linked Data Research Centre
Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI), NUI Galway, Ireland
http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
skype:richard.cyganiak
tel:+353-91-49-5711