Re: ISSUE-40 Comment on RDFa 1.1 Core: Empty elements should not create literals

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2010 09:18:53 -0500
To: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
CC: Sebastian Heath <sebastian.heath@gmail.com>, public-rdfa-wg@w3.org
I am sympathetic to the original proposal in this issue.  However, it
raised the following concern for me:

On 8/5/2010 8:47 AM, Mark Birbeck wrote:

> I'd be interested to hear what Toby thinks on this, but it would seem
> that if you really *must* have an empty string then you should do
> this:

In this case, I believe there are no child nodes at all.  Not sure what
my parser would do if it encountered the following:

No child elements are text nodes, so it would be a plain literal, but
since there are no descendant nodes in the DOM at all...  the value of
that plain literal could be undefined or "".  Obviously the supposition
is that the plain literal starts as "" and then text node values would
get appended to it.  But we don't say that.  We probably should.