Re: ISSUE-29: Re: When is equal and when is it nonequal (eg, the IRI interface)

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@webbackplane.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2010 14:39:01 +0100
To: nathan@webr3.org
Cc: Toby Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, W3C RDFa WG <public-rdfa-wg@w3.org>
Hi Nathan,

> Still remain unconvinced by projections...

Yes...I realise that most people aren't convinced. :(

Yet what surprises me on the issue is that SPARQL is probably the most
common form of querying RDF, and people almost always use the
projection form of queries when using SPARQL:

  SELECT ?name ?homepage ...

There must be some reason why people favour this technique over
obtaining a ton of triples and working through each one, or using the
CONSTRUCT form?

> ...yet realise they do provide a
> workable approach, and given the aforementioned keep the rest workable too -
> i.e. could work with that :)

In which I am inspired to keep chipping away at the 'unconvinced'. ;)

Regards,

Mark

--
Mark Birbeck, webBackplane