Re: ISSUE-29: Re: When is equal and when is it nonequal (eg, the IRI interface)

http://www.w3.org/2010/02/rdfa/drafts/2010/ED-rdfa-api-20100801/#the-source-pointer

> What's the use-case for having store.createIRI(iri,origin);?
>  (and all related)

That's a bug in the API, it should've read:

store.createIRI(iri,info);

'info' is an attempt to generalize the storage of developer-specified
information along with the IRI. It would allow developers to use a
single attribute as a point of extension if it is desired. This would
allow innovation outside of the core RDF triples and outside of the RDFa
API.

> If you have some use-case(s), can they be handled by functions like
> document.getElementsBySubject(type) or not?

Not as far as the community has discovered thus far. There needs to be a
way for developers to understand where triples originated in the
document. It makes it very easy to modify the DOM based on the data it
contains. One can easily imagine highlighting foaf:name values in a
page, or placing phone dialing icons beside vcard:tel numbers. Without a
link from the RDF data back to the DOM, doing this in a way that is
deterministic is difficult.

If we can figure out a better way to do this, that would be wonderful.
The mechanism Toby outlined (placing the info object on the RDFTriple)
is one such possibility.

> ps: hope I didn't come across as rude at all - if so, it wasn't intended!

Spirited and impassioned discussion is always welcome on this mailing
list as long as it is respectful of all involved. :)

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: WebApp Security - A jQuery Javascript-native SSL/TLS library
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/07/20/javascript-tls-1/
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2010/07/20/javascript-tls-2/