Re: Notification: Role Attribute Editor's Draft available

Comments inline

Toby Inkster wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 12:31:19 -0500
> Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com> wrote:
>

>> Please review this document, in particular Appendix A, so that you
>> understand what we are trying to do and that you agree with the
>> direction I am taking that spec in.
>>

> Firstly, given:

> It currently generates:
>
> 	<#quux> xhv:role foo:bar .
>
> Another possibility would be:
>
> 	<> foo:bar <#quux> .
>
> Is there any reason you've chosen the former over the latter? Was the
> latter considered and dismissed for any particular reason?

Yes, I/we considered both.  @role is a special attribute with specific
semantics.  We want to ensure that the triples that arise from it
clearly indicate that a node has a specific role.  I envision using this
in conjunction with the RDFa API to help identify areas of the document
with certain well known roles (e.g. the ARIA roles).

> Secondly, as @role uses CURIEs, does role use @prefix? The previous
> drafts relied on @xmlns only. If @role is still restricted to using
> @xmlns, then an RDFa processor would need to keep track of two
> different sets of CURIE prefix definitions.

Role relies upon RDFa Core for the CURIE definition.  So it uses
whatever RDFa Core says it should.  Sorry - that was glib.  Yes, it
relies upon @prefix.  And everything else that comes along with RDFa
Core when it is used in that context.  In a non-RDFa markup language, I
suppose it is possible that there are only TERMs and URIs and there are
no CURIEs per se.  That would be fine for the associated assistive
technologies that are going to look at the value of @role to help people
find parts of the page.

> Lastly, the draft says "an RDFa Processor MUST process the role values
> as follows". This could be interpreted in two different ways:
>
> 	1. If an RDFa processor chooses to process @role, then
> 	the following is the way it MUST do it; or
>
> 	2. RDFa processors MUST process @role, and this is how
> 	they MUST do it.
>
> If the latter, I'd object to this document published outside the RDFa
> WG making normative assertions about RDFa processing.

Well...  You are correct that this spec can't make statements about RDFa
Core processors.  That section should make it clear that, when a markup
language incorporates the Role Attribute Spec and the RDFa Core spec
into the same language, an RDFa Processor needs to process @role in the
manner defined.  So, I guess that's your number 2 above sort of.  FWIW I
have added an issue about incorporating @role into XHTML+RDFa because I
think we should...  so in my mind an RDFa Processor that swallows
XHTML+RDFa 1.1 MUST process @role as described in the Role Attribute
specification.

Having said all that, I agree that it is uncomfortable to have an
external requirement like this.  However, the RDFa Working Group isn't
chartered to do @role.  The good news is that I don't think the PFWG
really cares about this aspect of the spec.  We care about it, and I am
the editor, Mark and Manu have been advising me, and we can all
influence this to get it right.  So I am not too worried about this spec.

I am worried about the precedent it sets though.  That another spec can
impose requirements like this.  There are likely precedents, although I
can't think of one right this second.

Suggestions?

> I ought to have a working implementation of this pretty soon.

Cool!  I haven't even thought about implementing it yet.