Re: New Issue: Allowing extension of RDFa Core

On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 18:41 -0500, Shane McCarron wrote:
> Obviously, it would make some sense for @role to be able to generate
> triples that could be used to help find specific roles in resources.
> I doubt that spinbutton is particularly interesting, but 'definition',
> 'contentinfo', and 'main' are probably low hanging fruit for a
> semantic web inference engine ( <http://example.com/somedocument.html>
> <xhv:main> <http://example.com/somedocument.html#fragmentID> ).
> [...]
> So, that's the question.  Does it make sense to try to introduce this
> type of hook?  If we had one, would we also need a way of indicating
> (perhaps in a Host Language RDFa Profile document) what attributes
> hooked in where?  Sort of an 'instruction to the RDFa Processor'?

I think it does make sense. It would allow, say, HTML+RDFa to allow
@data to set a subject URI like @src does. (@data of course being an
attribute on the <object> element.) Or HTML+RDFa to treat @datetime to
provide a literal object on <time> elements.

However, unless the hooks are very convoluted, I don't think they would
solve the @role use case. @role would probably want the subject and
object of the triple to be calculated differently. For example:

Ought to generate a triple along the lines of:

 <> xhv:main <#foo> .

i.e. forcing the subject to be the document's base URI regardless of the
current RDFa subject (e.g. @about on a parent element), and using @id to
set the object resource, even though @id is entirely ignored by current
processing rules.

A host language that included RDFa and the Role Attribute Module (e.g.
XHTML 1.2) would probably want to specify a method for extracting @role
triples separately from RDFa.

--
Toby A Inkster