Re: RDF Schema abstract

To me, the idea that entities and relationships were invented by Peter Chen in 1958 is a bit like saying that Bill Gates invented numbers. But more seriously, see below

On Nov 27, 2013, at 4:15 PM, Guus Schreiber <guus.schreiber@vu.nl> wrote:

> I'm doing the final changes on the RDF Schema draft. I wanted to run one thing first by the WG, namely the one-sentence abstract of what RDF Schema is.
>
> One option is to take the characterization given in the Semantics document:
>
>  RDF Schema extends RDF to a larger vocabulary with more
>  complex semantic constraints.
>
> However, I think using the term "vocabulary" in this way will confuse people with a data-modelling background. Taking a data-modelling perspective RDF Schema should probably be seen as a Enhanced Entity Relationship data-modelling language [1]. I therefore propose the following abstract:
>
>  RDF Schema provides a data-modelling vocabulary for RDF data.

I know this says "a" rather than "the", but its being in the spec surely suggests that RDFS is somehow singled out as being the correct or primary or basic data-modelling vocabulary, which is potentially misleading. Suggest a slight modification along these lines:

> RDF Schema provides a simple data-modelling vocabulary for RDF data. Other publications, including SKOS [ ] and the W3C Recommendation OWL2 [ ], define more elaborate data models which extend RDFS in various ways.

Pat

> Feedback appreciated.
>
> Guus
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enhanced_entity%E2%80%93relationship_model

IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 home
40 South Alcaniz St.            (850)202 4416   office
FL 32502                              (850)291 0667   mobile (preferred)