Re: N-Triples/N-Quads/TriG/Semantics earl reports

On 02/11/13 22:02, Gregg Kellogg wrote:
> Hi Andy, thanks for the implementation reports.

Report on making the reports:

 > Note that your test results all have a test URI starting with
 > <file:///home/afs/W3C/rdf/trig/tests/manifest.ttl#>, which doesn’t
 > match the actual manifest location. I fixed these, but in the future,
 > please report against the actual manifest location, e.g.,
 > <https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/trig/tests/manifest.ttl#>.

1/ The problem I encountered that lead me to run from disk turns out
that there is no conneg - I thought it was the https, and a bug at my
end, but in fact my problems were due to the manifest files coming back
as text/plain from the web.

When a file, Jena is using the file extension.  It was less pushy about
doing that from the web when there was an explicit (and wrong) content-type.

I'll rerun the tests to get a clean run.

I have no idea how to fix the conneg issue except to note in the tests
description though I think it's unfortunately that the RDF-WG who define
the media type can't get it right!

But unless there is admin magic for https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/, we're struck.

> Note that your test results all have a test URI starting with
<file:///home/afs/W3C/rdf/trig/tests/manifest.ttl#>, which doesn’t match
the actual manifest location. I fixed these, but in the future, please
report against the actual manifest location, e.g.,
<https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/trig/tests/manifest.ttl#>.

> Also, the N-Quads tests should also include the N-Triples tests, as you can see from the report.

(the report is now readable and Gregg's made sure the fix does not get
lost).

2/ (feedback) I think the reports for N-Quads / N-Triples is going to
catch people out and may lead to duff report data.

One EARL test has one URI (object of earl:test) but nothing else.

<#nt-syntax-file-01> rdf:type rdft:TestNTriplesPositiveSyntax,
rdft:TestNQuadsPositiveSyntax

but it has two types.  Which is the right one?  Both - this is RDF.

It's fortunately that the NT test suite does not have a negative test
for N-quads.

Unsurprisingly, my code processes the RDF manifest and reacts to the
type.  But as it is for EARL,  "one test, one URI", it can only run and
report the test once. The EARL report does not contain enough
information to know which version of the test was run - they have the
same URI - so running the test twice does not help. While I can produce
a special version for these test manifests, it's an easy mistake to make.

Gregg - if a report has the same test reported twice, what happens?

(I point a program at the test manifest and say "run tests". One
manifest, one report -- I'm guessing but that seems like a reasonable
pattern for implementers.)

3/ (feedback) The NQ and TriG report description refers to
http://www.w3.org/2011/rdf-wg/wiki/Turtle_Test_Suite
but there is nothing about NQ and trig there.

It disagrees with the NT manifest as it shows only one type.

<#nt-syntax-file-01> rdf:type rdft:TestNTriplesPositiveSyntax ;

	Andy