Re: Language tags as values - document consequences (Concepts and MT)

On 10/05/13 17:39, Pat Hayes wrote:

> On May 10, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>
>> I think the consequences for treating language tags as values or as
>> lower case string in the value space are:
>>
>> Concepts: 1/ Remove ", and must be normalized to lowercase."
>>
>> 2/ Put in, after 5.1, a datatype description for rdf:langString.
>>
>> I think this should go in anyway so that concepts has more on
>> rdf:langString.
>>
>> 3/ Add rdf:langString as a to section 5.4 as recognized Datatype
>> IRI.
>>
>> MT: 4/ Remove requirement for rdf:langString.
>>
>> MT currently says that RDF processors "MUST recognize
>> rdf:langString and xsd:string".
>>
>> Instead, RDF processors are not required to recognize any datatype
>> IRIs.
>
> I like that, but please can we have a DECISION on this quickly, as it
> would need a major edit to Semantics. (It would make it a lot
> simpler. It is really a host of minor edits which I can do in one
> day.)
>
> Also, we still need to decide whether or not
> "Ilovelanguagefivehundred"@500^^rdf:langString  is just silly, or an
> ill-formed literal, or a syntax error. Its going to be a probem for
> someone, for sure, but if its ill-formed then it is a problem for
> me.

IMO

"Ilovelanguagefivehundred"@500

should be treated like "thenumber14"^^xsd:integer - fails as a
D-entailment because the (generalised) lexical form
("Ilovelanguagefivehundred", "500") has a language tag not matching the
rules of BCP47.

This is independent of registration of language tags - we could add that
it must be any current or previously registered language tag but the
grammatical rules of BCP47 are enough and look to be the best future
proof approach.

FWIW: The syntax rules of Turtle forbid it at the character-parsing
level - not so for RDF/XML - but they do pass @XX-500.

	Andy