Re: For RDF Concepts: term-equality and value-equality.

On 08/05/13 15:21, Sandro Hawke wrote:
> On 05/08/2013 10:12 AM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> On May 7, 2013, at 4:13 AM, Andy Seaborne wrote:
>>
>>> RDF Concepts says:
>>>
>>> [[
>>> Literal equality: Two literals are equal if and only if the two
>>> lexical forms, the two datatype IRIs, and the two language tags (if
>>> any) compare equal, character by character.
>>> ]]
>>>
>>> I think it would be useful to spell out "term equality" and "value
>>> equality" as important concepts.
>>>
>> Blech. I strongly dislike having "kinds" of equality. Equality has one
>> meaning, and it does not admit of degrees or kinds. This is a
>> difference between literals and literal values, not two kinds of
>> equality. We already draw out the distinction between literals and
>> literal values.

I don't see anything about testing values in concepts - I think it is
useful in "concepts" to put literal equality and value testing close
together.

The important point, which continues to confuse people, is that

"1"^^xs:integer
"+1"^^xs:integer

are different terms.

How we express that, I don't mind.

Text way down in a modified 5.5 isn't helpful where as something at the
point of talking about literal equality is more reader-focused.