Re: bad language tags

Le 07/05/2013 09:26, Andy Seaborne a écrit :

> On 07/05/13 04:27, Pat Hayes wrote:

> What's an "RDF syntax error"?  Concrete or Abstract Syntax?

I assume that what Pat is interested in at the moment is abstract
syntax.  For his editing of RDF Semantics, it's the only thing that matters.

> Real data may well have legal, correctly canonicalised language tags
> ... which are then not legal RDF due to case.
>
> @en-US

This is not a problem. Language tags do not have @ either. The concrete
syntax can allow many things as long as it's clear how it maps to a
valid RDF Graph. Reasoning on a particular concrete syntax like this
would lead you to the conclusion that an integer does not need to have a
datatype IRI because you can write it like that in Turtle.

>  >>> 3. legal and consistent (because even a bad
>>>
>>> RDF concepts says that a language-tagged string has a lexical form
>>> (a UNICOD string), a datatype IRI (rdf:langString) and a language
>>> tag (a non-empty language tag as defined by [BCP47]. The language
>>> tag must be well-formed according to section 2.2.9 of [BCP47], and
>>> must be normalized to lowercase).
>
> The lower case requirement is in the abstract syntax.

Right.

> Many processors implement RFC3066 as does the Turtle grammar.

It's alright. The lower case requirement is simply to defined what is
the identity of a language tag. If you write @en-US or @en-us in Turtle,
you are using the same language tag. It does not matter how the parser
deals with this, as long as they compare equal.

>>> Anything else is not a language-tagged string.
>>> So, it's answer 1.
>
> By that argument "@en-US" is a syntax error yet it is the canonical form.

In the abstract syntax "@en-US" would be strongly wrong because of the @
character. It does not need be a syntax error in Turtle, but it's an
error in RDF/XML or JSON-LD. One could imagine a syntax where en-US is a
syntax error.

>> Well, that is how I would interpret that MUST as well, but I think
>> that it would be better if it were to say this explicitly, because
>> this being a syntax error requires all conformant RDF parsers to know
>> all about wellformedness of language tags. I actually think this is a
>> very bad decision, if it really is what the WG intended to do. Which
>> is why I wanted to make sure that the text was very clear on exactly
>> what is intended here.
>
> well-formedness of languiage tags isn't too bad - it's the grammar in
> 2.2.9 although in Turtle, RFC 3066 is used.

If any RFC3066-valid tag can be mapped in a non-ambiguous way to a
BCP47-valid tag, then it's not a contradiction (but maybe a remark on
this should be put somewhere in the Turtle spec).

> Concepts says
>
> """
> 5. Otherwise, the literal is ill-typed, and no literal value can be
> associated with the literal. Such a case, while in error, is not
> syntactically ill-formed.
> """

Language-tagged strings cannot be ill-typed since they do not have a
lexical space, and they are interpreted in their own special way.

AZ.