RE: RDF/S entailment rules.

On Monday, May 06, 2013 1:47 PM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> - I believe that the usefulness of the documented rule set is not only
> for implementers. The rule set, in my view, helps the everyday user in
> understanding what is going on in general, it helps to establish some
> sort of a mental model of what RDF(S) entailment does for you. Even if
> the rule set is incomplete or not 100% precise, it is still immensely
> useful for most of the users. Those users will certainly not read
> Herman's paper, they will be scared away by the abstract or the first
> section... and we leave them with nothing.

I agree with Ivan on this. A couple of years ago, when I first looked at RDF
Semantics, I just closed the document after scrolling a few pages down
because it seemed overly complex and (back then) useless. It all started
become much clearer once I saw the rule sets.

I think to most people these rules are far more accessible than all the
rest. So I would even go as far as proposing to include them somewhere at
the beginning of the document (perhaps right after Notation and terminology)
so that people don't get scared away before they find them (as I was back
then). It's completely fine if they are just informative.

Cheers,
Markus

--
Markus Lanthaler