Re: html editing oddity

Pat,

The server seems to be done right now, so I cannot check on my machine:-( But I think the issue is with Chrome's handling of HTTPS vs. HTTP.

The file is served through https (because it is on a protected system of mercurial). The CSS references within the file use HTTP, however, and not HTTPS. Firefox, Safari, and others shrug when they see that and they just get the CSS. However, the policy of Chrome is that if the core file has been accessed by HTTPS, then all further style references must be HTTPS as well (and, I presume, the same holds for the javascript files, but I am not sure). And that means that some CSS files do not get loaded.

You can actually manually override this; on the right hand side of the address bar there is a shield. Click, and it will say something like "this page contains insecure content", and you can say "load anyway". It will then reload with all the CSS files. The pain is that this has to be done every time you go to that page... If I am right, you should then get the file with the right fonts. If not then... I have no idea:-)

(I have had this issue with chrome before, eg, when I look at some member (or team) visible files on our system that are also served via HTTPS, and the styling goes wrong. One of the stupid reasons why I do not use chrome...)

Cheers

Ivan

On Mar 9, 2013, at 04:13 , Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> I have a persistent minor editing puzzle.
>
> The file https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/rdf/raw-file/default/rdf-mt/index.html is rendered in a Times font when I view that URI, but in a sans-serif font (as it should be) when I view the file locally (eg by cutting and pasting the source HTML into a local file).
>
> This does not happen when I view Concepts or other documents.  I presume this is some peculiarity of how Chrome reads the CSS (Flock, Safari and Firefox all get it right), but it is a behavior I would like to eliminate, and it must happen in part because of the edits I did to the elaborate CSS I copied from Concepts.
>
> Anyone have any advice on how to make the page work right in Chrome?
>
> Pat

> IHMC                                     (850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153