Re: changes to be made to 5 Mar version of Semantics

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:21 AM, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2013, at 12:53 PM, Peter Patel-Schneider wrote:
>
> > Changes for FPWD
> >

> Do you have a personal homepage, or a FOAF URI I can use to link to you?
> > - value space of datatypes - change to conform with Concepts
> >   - remove sentence about the value space
>
> ? I thought it did conform with Concepts, and which sentence are you
> referring to?
> I may have already made this change without realizing it, so check new
> wording there.

 Semantics required that the value space of a datatype be the image of the
lexical space under the L2V mapping, but that wording appears to be gone,
and the value space is now the range of the L2V mapping.  Concepts defines
it independently of the L2V mapping, which I think is clearer, but
Semantics could just point to Concepts.  "A datatype consists of a lexical
space <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-lexical-space>, a value
space <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-value-space> and a
lexical-to-value
mapping <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-lexical-to-value-mapping>,
...."  (XML Schema starts with an independent value space and then says
that all values must have a lexical form.)  This all becomes important for
datatypes like owl:real that have more values than the size of the lexical
space.

[...]

> > Changes to be made to Concepts
> >
> > - definition of rdf:langString as a datatype with a trivial L2V
>
> ?Is this necessary? I think we are OK just saying that its a datatype IRI
> with a value space.

I think that this would be cleaner, removing all the special cases for
"other datatype IRIs", but things are coherent as they stand, I think.  The
change I suggest probably requires WG discussion.

> > - remove datatype maps - not used in semantics
>

> And, define bnode scopes :-)
>
> Pat

peter