Re: bNodes as graph identifiers (ISSUE-131)

On Jun 1, 2013, at 9:31 AM, Sandro Hawke wrote:

> On 05/31/2013 08:12 PM, Pat Hayes wrote:
>> On May 31, 2013, at 4:44 PM, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>>
>>> [ BTW, I'm CC'ing Steve, since he's not a member of the RDF Working Group any more.   Steve, if you want to reply to the group, please remember to send to public-rdf-comments@w3.org.]

>>> It seems clear to me that he was referring to RDF (which became a REC in 1999, 14 years ago).    He seemed to be protesting changing it, so I was explaining why we were doing so.
>>>
>>> If he was protesting changing the Working Group's design for handling graph identification -- well, that was only settled in October 2012, and has never been published as more than an Ordinary Working Draft.    So that's still relatively easy to change. (Relative to how it will be after Last Call, Candidate Recommendation, getting implementations, Proposed Recommendation, and Recommendation, let alone the passing of 14 years.)
>>>
>>> It seems like maybe you or he are thinking I'm somehow proposing changing the semantics of blank nodes in RDF.   That's certainly not my intention.  Is there some way that allowing blank nodes to be used as "graph names" in datasets would have that effect?
>> No, it doesn't.
>>
>> However, if we were to also add a sensible semantics for blank node graph labels, to the effect that using _:X as a label of the graph G effectively asserts the equation  _:X = G, then we would have to treat these blank nodes slightly more carefully. In effect, this would treat the graph labelling syntax as making an assertion involving the blank node, and that assertion would have the consequence that, for example, a dataset with a URI label (which does *not* make the analogous assertion of an equation, we have already decided):
>
> I am not proposing adding such semantics, although I see the appeal.

I am proposing it, as a condition on allowing bnodes as graph labels. Allowing bnode graph labels without a semantics is worse than not allowing them at all.

>   The main problem with doing so is that it would mean that if someone Skolemized the graph names in a dataset, they'd be losing these conditions, which might significantly change the meaning of the dataset.

Right. Skolemization does lose meaning, in fact. But without this condition, some other odd things happen. For example, leaning (leanening?) a graph could eliminate a blank node that is being used as a graph label. Do you want to allow that?

>    Also, I think our minimalist approach to dataset semantics is going to be confusing to people and I think having this additional twist, as simple as it is when one understands it, would be quite confusing to people who haven't quite grasped it.

The part that is confusing is the minimalist view of IRIs as graph labels. At least we have here an opportunity to have *some* graph labels that actually make semantic sense. How can it be confusing to be told that labelling a graph with a label means that the label refers to the graph??  What else could it possibly mean?

Pat