Re: status of rdf:langString

Ah yes, I see what you mean.
In fact, it's just said that rdf:langString is a *datatype IRI* but it's
not explicitly said that this IRI is denoting a datatype.

An in fact, the note that says:

"Language-tagged strings have the datatype IRI
http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#langString. No datatype is
formally defined for this IRI because the definition of datatypes does
not accommodate language tags in the lexical space. The value space
associated with this datatype IRI is the set of all pairs of strings and
language tags."

is even saying that it cannot be a datatype by definition!

Since all this have been debated a lot, taking in consideration the
semantics too, and we reached consensus, I expect that the goal now is
not to change the concepts but to make a semantics for what concepts are
right now. Only if there is a strong justification against what is in
concepts from the semantic side, then the concepts should be revised.

Here, what you propose as a solution (having rdf:langString being an
instance of rdfs:Datatype without being a datatype seems to me an
adequate solution.

AZ

--
Antoine Zimmermann